One of 13 paintings (8 murals and 5 smaller paintings) done by Andrew Killen in 1881-1883 for the newly built Court House in Denver at 15th-16th and Court Place and Tremont St. These were gifted to the State Historical and Natural History Society of Colorado by Mrs. Margaret Haines, daughter of Andrew Killen, in June 1918, when she came to Denver from New York to find out what had happened to the paintings of her father. (According to article by Olga Curtis noted below.) Documentation indicates that the paintings were received from Mayor W. F. R. Mills and Mr. D. C. Bailey of the government of the City and County of Denver as a gift., Andrew A. Killen was a member of the Denver firm, (E.O.) Parker and Killen, art decorators. Killen lived in Denver from 1880-1883. There is some debate as to the artistic merit of his paintings but no doubt they are important as a reflection of the historical viewpoint at the time. , The 13 paintings hung in the Court House until 1903 when they were stored in the basement while the Court House was expanded. In 1948, the 8 murals were lent to the Central City Opera House Association for a tourist display. After the display, two of the murals went to the Gilpin Historical Society and six were hung in the Chain-O-Mines Hotel in Central City.
See Denver Post article by Olga Curtis in Empire Magazine, Nov. 24, 1974, pp. 10-11 and Denver Post article June 9, 1918.