U.S. Army "Marksman" collar button
U.S. Army "Marksman" button earned by Brigadier General Irving Hale as a lieutenant estimated between 1885 and 1888. The button has a square face with concentric circles that represent a target on it. A wire loop post is mounted to the reverse side.
Beginning in 1881 the US Army began to give marksman buttons to any soldiers who made required scores at various ranges. Soldiers could wear the pair of buttons on their collar during the year they were qualified. Men qualifying in two consecutive years wore two pairs of the buttons.