University Park Railway Superintendent Badge of A.G. Hood
Brass shield badge with a vertical straight pin back and "C" catch.
Albert Graeme Hood was born in Weston, Platte County, Missouri to Graeme W. Hood in 1857. He came to Denver in 1876 as clerk and bookkeeper for Exchange Bank located on Blake Street near 15th. Prior to coming to Colorado, however, Mr. Hood had been a telegrapher in Missouri and Iowa, and by 1878 he'd moved to Leadville to manage their Western Union telegraph office. A year later, in 1879, he married Annie Hauser. During the next few years, Mr. Graeme was involved in installing various telephone exchanges in Leadville, Las Vegas and Silver City, New Mexico as well as in the states of Durango and Chihuahhua, Mexico. He left the communications business about 1884 and is last recorded in the Denver City Directory in 1903. After this time he is recorded as living in Bernalillo, New Mexico where he was employed by Santa Fe Railroad until his retirement in 1928. A business card located in the History Colorado manuscript collection identifies him as the superintendent of the University Railway and Electric Line in Denver. The card is not dated, but based on the entries in Denver, Leadville, and Silver City city directories, and the history of the south Denver and University Hills Railway, he would have had to been in their employ sometime between 1889 and 1903. He is recorded in the 1891 Corbett & Ballenger's 19th Annual Denver City Directory as Assistant Division Superintendent of the University Park Tramway Company. Mr. Hood's badge and wallet were found unmarked in collections at the Bloom Mansion is 2012. They were possibly donated to one of the museum sites in Trinidad; possibly by Mr. Hood's grandson, William A. Robinson, who was a teacher at Trinidad Junior College.