Fitzsimons Army Medical Center Wheelchair
This wheel chair has a wooden frame for the seat part. The back is made of chair caning, and the seat is a green fabric with metal studs holding it down. The arms is wood, and is supported by a black metal frame. The underside of the chair and the wheel are a black metal as well. There are two leg pieces with a flat base for putting feet on that are wooden as well. There is also a green fabric seat belt around the middle of the chair. " Wheelchair has comfortable, cool, cane filled seat, back and leg rests, also large rubber tires and coil springs for easy riding. All adjustments of back and leg rests easily and simply operated". Description taken from internet for Colson Corporation--http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/dhm/lib/detail.html?id=1125 9.26.17
This catalog for wheelchairs features products made by the Colson Corporation of Elyria, Ohio between 1927 and 1938. The catalog is 36 pages long and measures 8.5" x 11" (21.59 x 27.94 cm). The first 13 pages are included here. W. L. Fay established the Fay Manufacturing Company in 1885 and began manufacturing the Fairy Tricycle, designed for women. Fay also became successful as a manufacturer of carts, similar to modern wheelchairs, for Civil War amputees and polio victims. In 1891 Fay sold the company to Arthur L. Garford of Elyria, Ohio. Garford changed the name to Worthington Manufacturing Company in 1897 and George Cushing Worthington became president. Worthington later left the company to manufacture golf balls and kept the Worthington Manufacturing name. In 1917, the Colson Company organized and began manufacturing stretchers and service carts in addition to its other products. A new line of Fairy bicycles, tricycles, and scooters was introduced as well. By the 1920s, Colson operated a chain of stores in 17 cities throughout the United States. The company fell in to receivership during the Great Depression, however, and was broken up into several smaller companies. In 1957 the wheelchair business was sold to Cortland Shea, which later became Invacare Corporation, based in Cleveland, Ohio.
From http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll36/id/4863 9.26.17
This was found during the Pueblo move in 12/2012. There are emails in the accession file about this wheelchair. It was used in the 1950's exhibit in 1995, and then returned for the loan. It was then included in a donation shortly after, on 4/28/98.
Handwritten ink on wood part of front seat: "4 West / handwritten ink on wood part of seat: 4 h"