painted creame - chipping badly
5 horizontal panels
In an effort to create additional space at north storage (and because of the grant for Pueblo facility) I was asked to review select GHM artifacts at Pueblo. HC artifacts that lack provenance or are in very poor condition and/or duplicate other items in the HC collection were reviewed and recommended for disposition/deaccession-details below. Note- items recommended for disposition/deaccession should be sold at auction. History of the GHM at 770 Pennsylvania St. Denver Co 80203, 1970 listed on the National Register, Italian Renaissance style, built by Beal & Harnois.
Erected in 1902, the Grant-Humphrey's Mansion has been home to two different families with significant ties to Colorado and American history.
It was built for James Benton Grant, the third governor of the state of Colorado, whose two year term ended in 1885. Grant was a mining engineer and probably best known for his work in the smelting industry. Initially applying his trade in the boomtown Leadville, Grant eventually moved to Denver. Located two miles northeast of downtown, the Grant Smelting Company featured what, at the time, was the tallest furnace stack in the United States, and third tallest in the world.
During his time in Leadville, Grant met Mary Matteson Goodell, whom he would marry. Goodell, who was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, would feature prominently in Denver society and helped to found a home for destitute children.
After Grant died in 1911, his wife lived in the mansion for the following six years. She finally sold the house to Albert E. Humphreys in 1917.
A.E. Humphreys earned renown for being the so-called "King of the Wildcats" after his profitable oil-drilling ventures in Wyoming, Oklahoma, and Texas. Humphreys came to Denver with his wife, Alice, and his two sons, Ira and Albert Jr. in 1898. were eventually inducted into the Colorado Aviation Hall of Fame.
Albert Jr. lived in the mansion with his parents until their deaths. When Albert Jr. himself died suddenly in 1968, Ira took over the property, as well as the operations of the family business. Ira bequeathed the family home to the Colorado Historical Society, which took possession of the mansion after Ira's death in 1976. By this time, the house was in a state of severe deterioration resulting from years of neglect. A new roof, brick replacement, and waterproofing of the foundation have all been completed since History Colorado took possession.