Stereograph depicting Waggoner dump, presumably mine tailings, taken by the San Juan Studio circa 1876. The image depicts five men turning to look at the photographer from behind a pile of tailings. One man in the central group of three leans against an upturned wheelbarrow while another man towards the right stands with a pickax raised overhead. Behind the figures stands a small structure with slanted roof connected to an elevated track leading out of the picture plane. The structure was used as the final destination for ore traveling from the mill after being processed. The five men in work clothes and hats would have then moved the rubble over to the dump site. Waggnoer mine is listed as opening the summer of 1876; however, it is unknown how long it was in operation.
The San Juan Studio operated in Silverton, Colorado and Farmington, New Mexico during this period. This photograph is from their "Views of San Juan Country Southwestern Colorado" stereograph series.
From Geo. Wagner collection, purchased from Mrs. G. G. Wagner of Telluride in July, 1950.