This is a sinew lined and wrapped recurve bow with green paint on the outside and signs of red paint on the sides. There is an attached bowstring made of double-ply twisted sinew.
This bow and a set of arrows (E.1685.1-E.1687.1) originally belonged to the Ute chief Colorow, who became friends with Dr. Frederick Jones Bancroft, the first president and founder of the State Historical and Natural History Society of Colorado. When Colorow passed away in 1888, he left his bow and arrows to Dr. Bancroft. His granddaughter, Caroline Bancroft, is listed as the donor of these items.