The Granada Relocation Center was located in Southeastern Colorado, approximately one mile from the Town of Granada in Prowers County. Also called Camp Amache, the center housed Japanese-Americans during World War II following their removal from the West Coast by Executive Order 9066. The site officially opened August 27, 1942, with the arrival of the first evacuees from the Merced Assembly Center in California. It was the smallest of the relocation centers and the only one in Colorado. The project area totaled approximately 10,500 acres around Granada and extended eastward toward the Kansas border. The instant city soon became the tenth largest in the state. Camp Amache provided a self-contained community with more than 550 buildings for living quarters, administration buildings, businesses, a hospital, warehouses, etc., clustered on 640 acres of prairie southwest of the town of Granada. Although at its peak in October 1942, Amache housed 7,597 people, more than 10,000 persons passed through the camp, nearly two-thirds of whom were United States citizens.