Dream Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park
This Autochrome was taken by Fred Payne Clatworthy (1875-1953) in Rocky Mountain National Park in circa 1925. The image depicts a view of Dream Lake looking west from a vantage point on the lake's eastern shore. Hallet's Peak rises from the western shore of the lake. Small areas of accumulated snowpack are visible on the peak. To the right of Hallet's Peak, Flattop Mountain is partially visible. Coniferous trees line the base of the mountains and grow up its eastern side of Hallet's Peak. In the foreground, felled logs and branches lay on the eastern shore of the lake, near the lower left corner of the image
Fred Payne Clatworthy was a photographer and public lecturer who worked mostly out of Estes Park, Colorado during the first half of the twentieth century. Clatworthy was known for his mastery of the Autochrome screen plate, an early color photography format. In exchange for image use rights to Clatworthy's Autochromes, railways and transportation companies often sent him on all-expenses-paid photo assignments to various locations. In addition, approximately 100 of Clatworthy's Autochromes appeared in the pages of National Geographic Magazine between 1923 and 1934. From 1917 to 1934, Clatworthy regularly toured the United States, presenting Autochromes to the public in slide lectures. Some of his most notable venues included the Smithsonian Institution, the Field Museum, the American Museum of Natural History, and Carnegie Museum. Between Clatworthy’s lectures and published images, his work was seen by over ten million people in over 160 countries. Clatworthy also served as the official photographer for the Stanley Hotel, Covenant Heights, and the Rocky Mountain Young Men's Christian Association during the early half of the twentieth century. In addition to his photography work, Clatworthy also had several business interests in the Estes Park area including "Ye Littel Shop,," a curio store that sold furniture, produce, Kodak cameras, film, and Clatworthy’s own images of the area. This image is part of the Fred Payne Clatworthy collection (Ph.00560). This image is a digital surrogate; appearance of original object may vary.
Donated by Barbara Clatworthy Gish, 1996.