Freight Wagon of Nathan Russell
Dry-rotted remains of a jerk line type freight wagon used by Saguache County settler Nathan Russell.
This wagon was donated at Fort Garland in the early 1950s by Alex Russell, a grandson of Nathan Russell. Alex was living on the same property in Saguache that his grandfather had settled in 1866. According to Alex Russell, the wagon was used by Nathan to haul freight for Otto Mears "from Salida via Saguache over Cochetopa Pass to points on the western slope of Colorado circa 1880." (See lexicon record "Nathan Russell" for Nathan Russell's biography.)