Swivel chair with red leather upholstery ; Swivel chair from Old Colorado Capitol in Golden
one of four chairs (1 high back, 3 low back) made of heavy oak or hickory. Donated in 1949 and at that time estimated to be 85-90 years old.
Originally these chairs were in the State Capitol building in Golden 1862-67. When Denver became the Capitol, the chairs were used by the Masonic Lodge and in 1900 were purchased by Dan Williams of Golden who used them in his business. In 1926 Ira Petrie and John Gunnels bought Mr. Williams' pool hall and became owners of the chairs. Later Mr. Petrie bought out his partner and became sole owner of the chairs. Believing they had historical significance he took the best of the chairs and stored them in his basement. Shortly after he died in 1947, his wife Mrs. Hattie Petrie (Harriet Mac Haynes), who shared her husband's interest in the chairs, donated them to the State Historical Society. The chairs had remained in Golden this entire time until donated in 1949.