multi-functional chair and footstool
Combination desk, chair, and footstool. Has storage compartments for stationery, pens, and magazine racks in movable arms. Chair decorated with cut-out leaf and scroll pattern.
Chair was donated by Mrs. John W. Rawlings (Dorothy) of Pueblo, CO. She had purchased it with the understanding that it was authentic and made to order for Mr. H. A. W. Tabor. It was a combination reading and writing chair with side sections to hold reading materials and an adjustable writing pad. There were clippings on the Tabor family in the drawer. It was first exhibited in Pueblo and then released to the Colorado Historical Society in Denver. , A letter dated August 12, 1981 from the Curator at the Colorado Historical Society gives factual evidence questioning the authenticity of the chair being used by Mr. Tabor. (See file H.6529).
"The chair contains a patent date of February 5, 1895. Assuming the chair to have been purchased by the Tabors within two years either way of that date, financial circumstances would have probably precluded such an extravagance. 1895-1896 were years of abject poverty for the Tabors, starvation not an impossibility. The Tabor home was lost to bankers in 1896 for inability to meet mortgage payments."