Stereograph of Silver Lake Mine's aerial tramway, in San Juan County, Colorado, taken by the San Juan Studio circa 1900. Silver Lake Mine was founded in 1890 by Edward Stoiber (1855-1906) and Lena Stoiber (b. 1862). Silver Lake quickly became one of the most profitable gold mines in the state. The Stoiber’s lived on site and built a mansion adjacent to the Silver Lake Mill which became known as Waldheim Mansion. Lena was primarily responsible for the running and managing of the mine and became known as “Captain Jack” by the workers of Silver Lake. The Mill burned once in 1906, but it was completely rebuilt by the Guggenheim family after they purchased it from the Stoibers in 1908. The image shows a section of Silver Lake’s tramway system. Tramways were used to transport buckets of ore downhill to be processed at the mill but were also used as a quick way of transporting miners uphill. One of these buckets used is visible on the right side of the lines. A bin and pile of rubble in the foreground is located at the base of a tramway tower. The lines of the tramway run from the top left corner to the tower and back to a tramway station. The station and tower are located on at a higher elevation on the side of a mountain. Evergreen trees and tree stumps are visible on the hillside behind the tramway station. In the background the silhouette of another mountain takes up the remainder of the image.
The San Juan Studio operated in Silverton, Colorado and Farmington, New Mexico during this period. This photograph is from their "Views of San Juan Country Southwestern Colorado" stereograph series.