Russell Gulch, Gilpin County / The Chief, Squaw and Papoose As Seen From Idaho
Lithograph with image depicting two scenes. Top is of "Russell Gulch" Foreground is a field with tree stumps possible cleared for planting. An animal on the left. Several houses on the right, two have tall chimneys with black smoke coming from them. People can be seen standing around, on a distant road is a horse-drawn wagon with man in front, further up the road people are walking possible to the town, a large structure is on the left, other houses dot the side of the hill and on up the road. Not much vegetation except for the dense trees in the foreground. Some structures are numbered 1 - 12. Second drawing below is "The Chief, Squaw and Papoose" as seen from Idaho. Across the foreground are trees, rocks, houses, animals drawing wagons, people gathered at the side of a house, a road on the right with figures on it. In the middleground is a river, some rocks in it, fir trees near the water edge. The road leads to a bridge across the river, more houses on the other side. Middleground the river continues diminishing into the hills. Several ranges of mountains in this area. Assuming the town is of Idaho Springs, naming three ranges as Chief, Squaw and Papoose.
*Printed on front under lightograph: "Lith. by J. Bien, N.Y. Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1866, by A. E. Mathews, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the United States for the Southern District of New York. A. E. Matthews. Del."
*Psrinted front under the above:
THE CHIEF, SQUAW AND PAPOOSE, AS SEEN FROM IDAHO"