One hundred and thirty one sets of human remains and funerary objects identified as OAHP 69 were recovered accidentally during construction of a new building on the property of the State Mental Health Institute in Pueblo, Colorado. The Department of Corrections (DOC) notified the Office of Archaeology and
Historic Preservation (OAHP). Known as State Hospital Cemetery No. 2 and designated 5PE527, the remains and funerary objects were exhumed July-August 1992 by OAHP. Initially, the remains were transferred to Dr. J.M. Hoffman at Colorado College for analysis, while the funerary objects were taken into custody by OAHP. In 2003, an interagency agreement was executed between the Department of Corrections, Colorado College, the Colorado Historical Society, the Pueblo County Coroner’s Office and the Colorado Commission of Indian Affairs, whereby Colorado State University was given “all custody, control and liability for the remains…permanently” from the DOC. CSU has conducted extensive analysis of the human remains. The cemetery was used between 1879 and 1915. The individuals are not Native American and are not subject to the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Anecdotal information indicates that former State Archaeologist Susan Collins had an interest in analyzing the associated funerary objects, but that analysis was not undertaken. A more appropriate course of action is to permanently transfer the associated funerary objects to Colorado State University so that they can be reunited with the remains. CSU will have the ability to analyze the funerary objects in the context of the remains.
Recommended method of disposal: Permanent transfer to Colorado State University. Dr. Ann Magennis, who has conducted analysis on the human remains, has received permission from CSU to accept the funerary objects.