Stereograph depicting #2 level of the Old Hundred Mine in San Juan County near Silverton, Colorado, taken by the San Juan Studio circa 1900. In 1872 the three Neigold brothers, Reinhard, Gustave, and Otto, purchased the Number Seven vein in the Galena Mountains. They eventually built their own town called Neigoldstown along the Stone Pass trail near Silverton, Colorado. The brothers discovered the Old Hundred in 1898 and the same year established their Midland Mining Company. In 1904 the brothers sold the complex to a group in Maine called the Old Hundred Mining Company. This image shows the #2 level of the mining complex in the mountains. The aerial view allowed the photographer to capture all three of the buildings that make up the #2 level. These multistory buildings are located in the bottom left corner; a small courtyard filled with construction material connects them. Further up the mountainside, a tramway tower can be seen toward the middle of the right side. Tramways were used to transport buckets of ore downhill and miners uphill. The lines of the tramway follow the steep incline of the landscape and continue past the right side of the image. In the background another mountainside comes in from the left; a small building can be seen in the distance where the two mountains meet. Even farther in the distance a valley and river are visible.
The San Juan Studio operated in Silverton, Colorado and Farmington, New Mexico during this period. This photograph is from their "Views of San Juan Country Southwestern Colorado" stereograph series.