Timber Wolf ; Robert Lindneux Halftone Color Separation Negative (1 of 4)
One of four 11" x 14" black & white glass plate negatives (halftone color separation negatives) used to reproduce Robert Lindneux's 1916 painting titled, "Timber Wolf". The painting depicts a Montana winter scene at sunset focused a lone male timber wolf standing in the center of the painting and looking directly at the viewer. See 2010.63.1 for additional information about this set and how it was used.
See attached image for description of scene.
This glass plate was used in the process of printing a catalog of Robert Lindneux paintings. The catalog is titled, "Pictures of the Great West by Robt. Lindneux : Catalogue of the Lindneux Art Publishing Co., 525 Fourteenth St., Denver, Colo." Based on elements seen surrounding the paintings as observed in many of the negatives' edges, it is assumed the plates were likely made by Lindneux himself. The fact that Lindneux published the catalog himself also contributes to this hypothesis. According to his memoir, Robert Ottokar Lindneux was born in New York City in 1871. Demonstrating a talent for art at a young age he traveled to Europe and attended the Art Academy in Dusseldorf, Germany; the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, France; and the Munich Academy. In 1889 Lindneux saw the Buffalo Bill Wild West show in Paris; this was a pivotal experience that sparked his passion for the American West. Lindneux returned to America in 1898 and worked his way west to Montana. He worked as a trapper, horse wrangler and cowboy, learning about the life he wanted to paint. Settling in Denver, Colorado in 1918 Lindneux embarked upon a prolific career. Lindneux died in 1970. Lindneux’s best known works are the life size portrait of Buffalo Bill at the Buffalo Bill Museum on Lookout Mountain near Denver, Colorado and Trail of Tears on display at the Frank Phillips Woolaroc Museum, in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. History Colorado has several of Lindneux’s significant historical works including Sand Creek Massacre its collection., This negative is part of a set donated by Dave Brandhorst in 1996 but not accessioned or processed until 2010. The set originally came in through the photography department but was transferred to Art & Design because of the subject and process as related to paintings and lithography.