Rustic Lodge, Glen Eyrie Park. No. 308.
Stereograph image of the "Rustic Lodge" at Glen Eyrie Park, published by the photographers Reed and McKenney circa 1871-1873. The image was taken of the earliest incarnation of what is today a castle at Glen Eyrie. General Palmer built a clapboard house at this location in 1871, possibly the structure pictured. The photo depicts brush in the foreground with a small house in the background. Beyond this are the red rock formations of present day Garden of the Gods.
The photographic firm Reed and McKenney was established by William H. Reed and Albert S. McKenney (also spelled McKinney). They were active in Denver from 1871-1872 and Central City and Georgetown in 1873. Glen Eyrie Park was the home of General William Jackson Palmer (1838-1909) and his wife Mary “Queen” Mellen Palmer (1850-1894). General Palmer was a former Union Army general and founder of Colorado Springs, Colorado.