Two Piece Clear Toy Candy Hand Mold
This object is a two part clear toy candy mold marked 276 on the front and back outer shells. The mold is cast aluminum. It is shaped irregularly with the impressions of five hands inside.
In 1870 Otto Baur joined forces with James Colwell to start the catering business of Colwell and Baur located at 16th and Lawrence Streets. In 1874, Baur purchased the Jacob Schueler Confectionery Store, and bought Colwell out, thus becoming the sole owner of the business. In 1891 the Baur Company moved to 1512 Curtis Street. In the years that followed, Baur's candies became famous. Baur's nephew, John Joseph Jacobs joined the business. After Baur's death in 1904 Theodore Meier took over the presidency. Joe Jacobs became secretary and treasurer. By 1918 Baur's opened its first restaurant. In 1924, upon the retirement of Mr. Meier, Mr. Jacobs became president and held the office until his death in 1937. After his death, Baur's continued to expand. In 1938, the Uptown Sore at 16th and Gleanarm was opened and in 1942 the popular lunch counters, candy and bakery counters were added at the May Company. In 1940 John H. Jacobs, greatnephew of Otto Baur and nephew of Joe Jacobs, became president. In 1951 Peters, Writer and Christensen bought Baur's from Joseph Baur's estate and bought out controlling interest from the family stock holders. For a short time in 1962, John H. Jacobs returned as treasurer and candy bakery manager. Finally in 1969 the six Baur's restaurants were sold to Aircoa and the Baur's name ceased operations. The donor of the collection, Lee Carlin is the daughter of John H. Jacobs.