Georgian Loving Cup, Silver, Gadrooned
Sterling silver "loving cup" with a removeable lid. The cup is shaped like a trophy in that it sits on a raised base. The handles extend beyond the length of the cup portion. They are thin and attach at the cup, near the rim, with two sterling leaves. Around the bottom of the cup, where it meets the base neck, is a rope-like decoration. This same rope-like decoration occurs further down the base. One side of the cup has a wreath engraved around an oval. There is nothing engraved within the oval. On the very bottom section of the base are five maker's marks. The left most stamp is "WF" (maker's mark), the second over is a lion (the stamp for sterling silver), the third over is a head with a crown (the city mark - London), the fourth over is either the date mark or an import mark "F" (if an import mark, the "F" means it is a British import mark on foreign made silver between 1867-1904), the fifth and final mark is a duty mark (this mark indicates tax on the cup was paid to the crown existing at the time - the mark is a profile portrait of the reigning monarch). The underside of the cup has a mark engraved lightly. The mark is a crown hovering above a rooster. The rooster stands atop a trumpet. The lid has a wide base with a patterning that mimics the base of the cup. The lid rises up into an upside down berry shape.
Original Boettcher Deed Description: 1 Silver covered loving cup, with hallmarks of London, Georgian period (1801), gadrooned rims with chased wreath, total height 15 1/2" (probably and "asembled piece, not all of the period).
Donated as part of the original Boettcher collection donated by Edna Boettcher in 1960. On exhibit/in use at Governor's residence since 1960.