Jones Collection H.6937—no other associated collections found in 2015--Alisa Zahller 6.24.15:
Items in this collection were donated by Mrs. Alfred Brown (Lucy Dutton Jones Brown, daughter of Asa T. and Mary Jones). Per the accession sheet the items were all from the property of Asa T. Jones at 625 North Cascade, Colorado Springs which was built in 1888 and redecorated in 1910 (represented by the wallpaper). The house was to be torn down at the time of the donation (1965) to make way for commercial buildings.
Asa Thomas Jones (a Colorado Springs businessman—in banking and finance) was born in Massachusetts in 1856 to Asa T. Jones and Persis C. Jones. His father died in 1865 and his mother in 1876. In 1885 he married Mary E. Tyler in Massachusetts. By 1887, the couple was living in Colorado Springs where their daughter Avis was born--see artifact file for names of all children. In 1900, the family is living at 623 Cascade and by 1903 at 625 N. Cascade. In 1909, Mary died. Asa continued to live in the house and around 1914 married his 2nd wife Elizabeth (no children). Asa and Elizabeth lived in the house at 425 Cascade into the 1940s. Asa died in 1945.
The significance of this collection is that it represents a family that settled fairly early in Colorado Springs—showing migration from East to West. Asa T. Jones was a businessman in Colorado Springs (this needs further research). Another significant story this collection tells is architectural history. Finally, this collection documents domestic service in Colorado—both stoves in the collection were service pieces, used by servants (names documented in census records). Over many years the family had a maid and a cook, both lived in a building behind the main house and both stoves are documented as being in this building and used by the servants—born in Colorado, Sweden and Germany.
, The Majestic Mfg. Co. of St. Louis was founded by Lucius Llewellyn Culver in the 1890’s. The North building of the business complex was completed in the Renaissance revival style of architecture in 1895, serving as the company’s world headquarters until the company was sold in 1948. The company was famous for its popular and extensive line of commercial and home cooking stoves. At the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, the company’s exhibition of its Majestic Stoves was one of the event’s more popular attractions.