Initially titled the Erastus F. Hallack Papers, the major portion of this collection (approximately 16.6 linear ft.) relates to Erastus F. Hallack, and his firm, the E. F. Hallack Lumber and Manufacturing Company of Denver, Colorado. The remainder (.8 linear ft.) relates to the Hallack and Howard Lumber Company during its final years 1949-1960. The Hallack Brothers Lumber Company was established in 1868 by Erastus F. and Charles Hallack in Denver. In 1877 they were joined by two other brothers, Joseph H. and Charles Howard, and the name changed to Hallack and Howard Lumber Company. Erastus F. Hallack retired from the partnership in 1879 and established his own business under the name E. F. Hallack Lumber and Manufacturing Company, a firm that continued until 1891 when it consolidated and became the Hallack-Sayre-Newton Lumber Company. The Hallack and Howard Lumber Company existed until 1960 when it was purchased by Boise-Cascade.