Kerr Self-Sealing Mason Jar ; Kerr Self-Sealing Glass Mason Jar
Kerr Mason jar made of clear glass. The jar is square with rounded edges. The lid is made of zinc and the inside top of the lid is lined with an opaque white glass. This glass is embossed with the HA logo the Hazel-Atlas Glass Company. Bottom of jar is imprinted with a "6".
As part of the 2018 review of material found in the Byers Evans House basement, this item was reviewed by curatorial staff and assigned an 85.390 accession number (it was donated in 1985 but did not receive a catalog number at that time). The artifact previously belonged to members of the Evans family, who resided in the house between 1889 and 1981. It is being retained in HC collection for its research potential and as a sample of the Evans's domestic life and private pursuits. See R.89.2018 and 85.390 registration files for additional information. See also MSS and PH History Colorado holdings for associated materials.
Top of lid: "ATLAS"
On outside of jar: " Kerr "SELF SEALING" TRADE MARK REG MASON"
Glass seal inside lid: "BOYD'S CAP FOR MASON JAR 4 GENUINE HA"
This Kerr Mason jar contains component parts manufactured by two separate entities. Kerr jars were produced by the Kerr Glass Manufacturing Co. founded by Alexander H. Kerr in 1903. It produced "Self-Sealing" and "Economy" jars from the outset. This particular "Self-Sealing" jar came into use in 1915; it was revolutionary because it sealed with a simple twist, as opposed to complicated prior methods using rubber bands or clamps to secure the lid. The raised lip of the glass on which the top could be screwed was known as an E-Z Seal because it reduced the risk of cracking. The lid is a specially patented zinc lid with a glass insert. Glass inserts were a simple but revolutionary change which prevented the preserved foodstuffs from touching the metal lid, which could rust and easily contaminate the food. The glass used in this particular lid was patented by Lewis R. Boyd in 1869, and "Boyd's Genuine Porcelain Lined Caps" were manufactured in huge numbers from that time. This particular one was manufactured by the Hazel-Atlas Glass Company of Washington, Pennsylvania, which was the primary producer of "Boyd's" glass inserts from 1902 through the 1950's. They are difficult to date because the Boyd's inscriptions differed relatively little from the time they were first introduced in the late 19th century right up through the 1950's. However, the HA logo at the center of the glass did not come into use by Hazel-Atlas until 1923, so this bottle would have been made thereafter., Kerr Glass Manufacturing Co. was founded in 1903 as the Hermetic Fruit Jar Company (the name was changed the following year). Its founder, Alexander H. Kerr, commissioned different glass manufacturers including the Hazel-Atlas company to make "Economy" jars with a clamp and rubber gasket. In 1909, Kerr bought his first manufacturing plant in Altoona, Kansas, and in 1915 he patented the "Self-Sealing" lid with a simple twist-on seal. Kerr jars were the second most widely produced jars for home canning after Ball Mason jars. The Newell Company would end up purchasing the jar-making division from Kerr in 1996, consolidating both Ball and Kerr jar production out of one factory in Muncie, Indiana., Further information on this type of jar can be found in the following:
(fill in collection name), #XXXXX, History Colorado, Denver, Colo.