This glass plate negative was taken in the Aultman Studio (Trinidad, Colo.) by Oliver E. Aultman (1867-1953) circa 1907. The portrait features a seated woman with her hands folded in her lap. The Aultman Studio register identifies her as Sister Eustella. She wears a long, hooded robe and bonnet tied with a bow. A large rosary hangs from her belt. A studio backdrop is visible behind her.
It is likely that Sister Eustella was a member of the Sisters of Charity, a Catholic order of nuns who came to Trinidad from Cincinnati, Ohio in circa 1870. Around that time, they opened St. Joseph Academy in Trinidad, which later became Holy Trinity elementary and high schools. In 1889, the sisters opened Mount San Raphael Hospital, the only hospital in Las Animas County.
The Aultman Studio (Trinidad, Colo.) operated out of Trinidad, Colorado from 1899-2000. Oliver E. Aultman founded the studio and was its chief photographer until his son, Glenn Aultman (1904-2000) took over the business in the early 1950's. Otis Aultman (1872-1942), Oliver's younger brother, also operated at photography studio in the Trinidad area from 1892-1907. Several of his images are included in the Aultman Studio collection. While the Aultmans mostly produced studio portraits of Trinidad's residents, they also shot images of landscapes, streets scenes, mining operations, buildings, and local events. This photograph is part the Aultman Studio collection (Ph.00500).