Stereograph depicting the town of Telluride, in San Miguel County, Colorado, taken by the San Juan Studio circa 1907. Telluride was a former silver mining camp of the San Miguel River. Gold was first discovered at the site in 1858, and by 1878 the town was founded. Originally called “Columbia,” the name was changed in 1887 due to the confusion with Columbia, California. The image shows an east facing view of Telluride’s Main Street. On the left side of the image the entrance and steeple of First National Bank can be seen. A dirt road runs in front of it from the bottom edge into the distance. Across the street from the bank an electrical poll runs perpendicular to Anderson, Basich & Co. The side of the building is painted with the company’s name and advertisement of products sold. Next to this sets another building with “G. E. Rose” printed on the awning. Several more buildings built in different styles extend down the street. The ghost image of two unidentified figures and be seen walking in opposite directions on the sidewalk. In the background Ingram Falls, Ajax, and Ingram Peak can be seen in silhouette.
The San Juan Studio operated in Silverton, Colorado and Farmington, New Mexico during this period. This photograph is from their "Views of San Juan Country Southwestern Colorado" stereograph series.