Items in this collection were donated by Mrs. Donald F. Clinton (Billie Eberhardt, daughter of Jeannette and Edward Eberhardt) of Denver and later Los Alamos, New Mexico. Per the accession sheet the items were all from Mrs. Jeannette Eberhardt (1873-1965) and Edward Eberhardt (1882-c.1950). Edward Eberhard built the building at 605 Cherokee Street, denver (where the collection was located) around 1920. The building to the east of this structure is Denver General Hospital (his building was built right after Denver General). Eberhard’s building was first used as a drug store, then as a combination drug store and apartment building. In 1966, the Eberhardt building was torn down for the new Denver General Hospital. Mr. Eberhardt owned about 5 drug stores in the Denver area.
Preliminary research on Edward Eberhardt shows that he was born in Michigan in August of 1882 to German immigrants Isabella and Albert Eberhardt who came to the U.S. in the late 1860s. It is unknown how many children were born to the couple but four have been documented: Dora, Laura, William and Edward. By the age of 10 Edward was working as a clerk in a drugstore. Around the age of 13 he moved wto Denver where he found a job as a clerk at Forbes Drugstore. According to the Denver city directory an Alfred and Felix Eberhardt were also in Denver; none of the men were living together and it is unclear if the men were related. In 1906, Edward is working as a druggist for John Anglum and his sister Laura is living with him and working as a teacher in Denver. In 1910, Edward’s parents and siblings Dora, Laura and William are living together in Denver with a number of “patients” at Denver County Hospital on 6th Ave. Dora and William are noted as pharmacists and Laura a teacher.
By 1912, Edward Eberhardt owns his own drug store in Denver (at 6th and Cherokee) and is also managing the High School pharmacy. His brother William is noted as a clerk in the store in 1912. By 1917, William is the proprietor of Eberhardt Drug No. 2 at 301 7th Ave. By 1930, Edward is married to Jeanette and together they have 2 children: Billie (b. around 1919) and Edward Jr. (b. around 1923). In 1940, both Edward and Jeanette are still in Denver and operating the drugstore.
The significance of this collection is tied to German Americans in Colorado, Denver businesses, the medical profession (pharmacists and nurses in the family and Denver General) in Denver and settlement patterns of families.
Note: of the 25 items in the collection the scale, stapler, parlor stove and popcorn machine appear to represent the Drug Store best and are visually interesting and unique in design. See below for details.
Note: a number of employees are listed in the 1940 census for the Eberhardt Drug Co.—search Ancestry Eberhardt Drug, Denver.