Per the catalog card: "This is the original bell used when the City Market was moved from 23rd and Welton streets and was established on the banks of Cherry Creek in west Denver in about 1900. Twice it was cracked (looks like 3 times by repairs on the bell), mended and put back into service. Then the clapper was removed by someone, thus ending it's usefulness. Another bell was put in the place of this one and was used until the Market was moved to it's present location, in Wazee market in August of 1939. This bell was givevn to the Native Daughters of Colo. for their bell collection by the Market Master, Mr. Michael Pomponio, in June of 1939. It was placed in the Colorado State Museum by them in Feb. 1943.
-Per the accession ledger it was collected by James R. Harvey. The ledger notes "to here for Magazine" The ledger also notes given to the Native Daughters by Michael Pomponio in 1939.