Residence for Mr.&Mrs. John Evans
Falkenberg, William S., 1928-
Date On Object, 6/20/1967
Date On Object, 11/26/1960
Date On Object, 11/28/1960
Date On Object, 7/25/1960
Falkenberg Construction Company (Denver, Colo.)
Falkenberg, William S., 1928-
Evans, John Jr. (1884-1978)
Gladys Cheesman Evans
Set of 5 drawings and 15 blueprints of the residential construction project for Mr.&Mrs. John Evans (Frances A.). The proposed residence was at 38 Polo Club Place in Denver. The construction job number was 1. The drawings and blueprints were completed in 1960 and 1967. The drawings and blueprints show the residence was a one-floor building with a basement and a patio. The garage entrance is on the west side, and it can have three cars. Five windows are on the west side. On the east side, there are two doors, two sliding glass doors, a bay window, and a rather small window. Eight windows are on the north side. A bay window, three rather small windows, and a door are on the south side. A skylight window is revealed in the blueprints.
Mr.&Mrs. John Evans (Gladys C.) bought the property of site#36 and #38 at the Polo Club Place Subdivision C from The Castle Land Co. in 1959. In 1960, Williams S. Falkenberg and his brother John F. Falkenberg made a residential construction proposal for the site#38 to Mr.&Mrs. John Evans (Gladys C.). The residence was completed in 1961 and Mr.&Mrs. John Evans (Gladys C.) moved in in the same year. In 1965, Falkenberg Construction Co. made a new constructional project on the second-floor addition, driveway relocation, remodeling, and fences and posts installation. They reused some urns from Mr. John Evans and Mrs. Gladys C. Evans' old house at 2001 East Alameda Avenue. The current residence at 38 Polo Club Circle was built in 1961. It might be the one built by Falkenberg Construction Company for Mr. John Evans and Mrs. Gladys C. Evans.
Mr. John Evans was born in 1884. He attended the University of Denver and received his engineering degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was the director of the International Trust Company in 1911 and served as the president of First National Bank of Denver by 1928. His grandfather, John Evans, was the second Governor of Colorado Territory from 1862-1865 and the founder of Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.). He died in 1978. According to the 1940 United Sates Federal Census, Mr. John Evans, Mrs. Gladys C. Evans, and their daughter Anne Evans lived at 2001 East Alameda Avenue, Denver, Colorado with five servants and a lodger. Mrs. Gladys C. Evans was born in 1884 and married Mr. John Evans in 1908. She died in 1974 at her age 90.
The residence is located at the Polo Club Place Subdivision (Polo Grounds neighborhood) in the Belcaro neighborhood. The Polo Club Place Subdivision is bounded by South Steele St., East Exposition Ave., South University Blvd., and East Alameda Ave. It is at the site of the first Polo Club in Denver. In 1909, the Denver County Club formed a polo team called Freebooters. In 1921, Lafayette Hughes, Lawrence Phipps, and Albert Humphreys incorporated the Polo Club and purchased 160 acres of property to play polo. Much of the property was sold after the closure of the Polo Club. In 1958, 34 acres were sold to create the Polo Club Subdivision. The Belcaro neighborhood is to the south of Cherry Creek. The neighborhood is bounded by Colorado Boulevard, Exposition Avenue, Steele Street, and Tennessee Avenue. The name "Belcaro" came from Lawrence C. Phipps' historic Phipps Mansion, which was also known as Belcaro. The name means "Beautiful dear one" in Italian.
The Falkenberg Construction Company of Denver, headed by William S. Falkenberg, was a prominent builder of custom homes and commercial buildings in the Mile-High city and suburbs from the 1950s to the 1990s. They were also active in the historic preservation community in Denver for many years. William Falkenberg (Bill) earned his Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering from the University of Colorado in 1949. He served in the United States Naval Reserve from 1945-1951, was on the board of the American Institute of Architects Denver Chapter 1978-1981, Colorado History Society Foundation (trustee, secretary 1987-1997), Serra International (president 1971, district governor 1973), National Association Atomic Veterans, Colorado Archeological Society, Denver Athletic Club, Equestrian Order of Holy Sepulchre, Cactus Club (president 1995-1998). Janis Falkenberg served on the Board of Directors of the Colorado Historical Society, now History Colorado, and was the first woman to Chair that board. She also was a volunteer in the collections for several years.
Falkenberg Construction Company Collection donated to History Colorado by William S. Falkenberg, 1990.
Inside this manuscript collection (MSS.957): See Series A, Box 17, Files 427-451 for project papers.
30005064, 30005071, 30005072, 30005073, 30005074, 30005075, 30005076, 30005077, 30005078, 30005079, 30005080, 30005081, 30005082, 30005083, 30005084, 30005085, 30005086, 30005087, 30005088, 30005089
MSS.957.14, Residence for Mr.&Mrs. John Evans, #30005064, History Colorado, Denver, Colo.